We’ll protect you from abusive buyer behavior and from events outside your control.
We know that protection is important to you when selling online and when you deliver on your service promises. We’ll protect you from abusive buyer behavior and from events outside your control. Every month, we take action to protect all sellers against abusive buyers in the UK.
To help us provide comprehensive seller protections, we ask that sellers:
- Honour all of their service promises
- Report abusive activity so we can take action to protect you and other sellers
- Remain courteous and professional when dealing with buyers
Abusive buyer detection, enforcement and protection
- eBay has a strong Abusive Buyer policy that defines buyer abuse and allows us to take action on abusive buyers Abusive buyer policy.
- You’ll find the Report a Buyer functionality both in the returns flow and in the Resolutions center. This will take you to the Resolutions center that allows sellers to report abusive buyers so we can take action on them.
- Improved abusive buyer actions: when we find a buyer is abusive we'll warn them, we won’t facilitate them sending returns, or we'll suspend their account.
- We have automatic feedback and defect removal when we find a buyer has violated the new abusive buyer policy.
- Feedback and defect removal when you can cancel a transaction because a buyer demands something not offered in the original listing.
- Feedback and defect removal when a buyer retracts their bid or doesn’t pay.
Postage and delivery protections
- Quicker automatic feedback and defect removal when an item arrives late but tracking shows you shipped on time
- Quicker automatic feedback and defect removal when severe weather or carrier disruptions cause the item to arrive late
What do you need to do to get this protection?
- Use trackable and valid shipping methods
Seller Protection for returns (used items or damaged by the buyer)
- Give refunds based on the condition of the returned item — you can deduct up to 50% from the refund for the lost value of the item
- We’ll remove feedback, defects, cases in service metrics and we’ll take care of any remaining issues with the buyer
- Complete the return, and report the buyer
What do you need to do to get this protection?
- Offer free returns
Protection if a buyer doesn’t pay
If the buyers don’t pay straight away, it could just be that they are inexperienced or are having problems with their electronic payment system. Our detection methods help us identify high-risk buyers who might be bidding on or purchasing several similar items at once. If this happens, we’ll take action before the transaction takes place.
- We identify buyers that haven’t paid so we can automatically remove any negative or neutral Feedback they leave for you.
- When an unpaid item case closes without payment, we’ll block the buyer from leaving Feedback and take action on their account.
- You can use our Unpaid item assistant to automate the opening and closing unpaid item cases in our Resolution Centre.
Read our guide to Avoiding buyer issues for more guidance on what to do if a buyer doesn’t pay
Automatic protection against high-risk buyers
We use automated detection systems to scan millions of transactions for abusive buyers every day. We may automatically remove negative or neutral Feedback when the buyer is in violation of the Abusive Buyer policy.
How the eBay Money Back Guarantee protects sellers
We know that trust is important to sellers and buyers, and the eBay Money Back Guarantee protection means you won’t lose a potential buyer because someone else let them down in the past.
The eBay Money Back Guarantee is designed to protect buyers if they don't receive a purchased item, if a seller doesn’t honour their returns policy, or if an item is not as described. Buyers need to purchase on eBay.co.uk and pay via PayPal, credit or debit cards to be protected by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.
The eBay Money Back Guarantee also protects sellers:
- If you refund a buyer or resolve an issue within 3 business days of the buyer opening a request, we’ll refund your Final value fee.
- Buyers must contact the seller and give them 3 business days to provide a solution before they can escalate their case to eBay. Sellers also have the option to ask us to step in and make a decision
- A full refund or an accepted partial refund will close the request immediately. The buyer can also close their request at any point. Alternatively, requests are automatically closed 30 days after they are opened.
- In addition, we automatically remove defects, adjust the seller's Late delivery rate and remove Feedback when we close an eBay Money Back Guarantee case or appeal request in favour of the seller.
What is an abusive buyer?
- A buyer falsely claims an item was not as described or wasn’t received
- A buyer returns an item after it was used, damaged or missing parts
- A buyer retracts their bid or doesn’t pay
- A buyer changes their order, requests a discount or something extra
- A buyer asks the buyer to take the sale off eBay
- A buyer sends the buyer threatening or abusive messaging
Which kind of events are outside my control?
- You receive a Late Shipment for an item that arrived late, but tracking shows that you shipped it on time
- You receive a late shipment due to severe weather or a carrier disruption
- The buyer files an Item Not Received claim and tracking shows on-time delivery