Returns on eBay
Returns on eBay
The eBay returns process gives you and your buyers a simple and efficient way to handle returns. Understand the requirements and follow the returns process to ensure smooth and professional transactions with your buyers.
The returns process can be used by buyers when:
- An item is listed and sold on eBay.co.uk
- You specify in the Returns policy section of the listing that you accept returns.
- You haven't already issued a refund for the transaction through PayPal.
- A buyer uses the process to start a return within your specified return time frame.
- A buyer pays for the item with PayPal.
- A buyer hasn't opened an eBay Money Back Guarantee case (or a PayPal Buyer Protection case), or requested a refund on the credit card associated with the buyer's PayPal account.
- A buyer wants a full refund – not a partial refund, a replacement or an exchange.
- A buyer hasn't been suspended from the returns process.
- An item is listed in a category covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.
If you choose to handle your returns on a case-by-case basis you have the option to use an eBay return label or provide the buyer with your own label (PNG, JPEG, BMP, GIF or PDF formats supported).
Return rules allow you to save time by automating some aspects of the returns process and speeding up a refund to your buyer.
You choose which parts of the return approval process you want to automate – and which parts you prefer to do yourself – by setting up and customising your refund and return rules within your Returns preferences. For returns that you’ve automated, we provide the buyer with an eBay generated return postage label.
Save time by customising your return preferences.
- Send a refund: If you sometimes provide a refund and let the buyer keep an item, you can automate this process. Set up a rule to apply to all returns based on the item’s refund amount and/or return reasons you select.
- Approve a return: Expedite your return process by automatically accepting a return request and immediately providing an eBay-generated return postage label to your buyer. Set up a rule to apply to all returns based on the item’s refund amount and/or return reasons you select.
Using customised rules the eBay returns process makes it easier than ever to handle returns requests. Set up your returns preferences and let eBay take care of all the admin.
Refer to the table for the changes to returns on eBay we're introducing in September 2015.
|FEATURES||BEFORE SEPTEMBER 2015||AFTER SEPTEMBER 2015|
|Non-managed Returns||Managed Returns||A single returns process|
|Customise your return preferences|
|Enhanced return preferences with ability to create return and refund rules||-||-||✓|
|Automate return acceptance||-||✓||✓|
|Automate refund and buyer keeps item||-||Partial||✓|
|Return Merchandise Authorisation||-||By request only||✓|
|Using return postage labels|
|eBay return postage label with automatic tracking||✓||✓||✓|
|Upload a different carrier’s return postage label with automatic tracking (if applicable)||-||-||✓|
|Buyer choices for returning item||8 reasons||8 reasons||11 reasons|
|Send buyer a message before processing a return, offer a partial refund||✓||-||✓|
|Report a problem with the buyer after the sale without any impact to standards||-||-||✓|